Like what we do?
- To build a 3/4 scale highly accurate replica of the Renault Sport Formula E Racing car.
- Used by children aged 5-14 years old as a Pit Lane Experience at Kidzania, London.
- Child H&S of paramount importance. Weights of individual hands-on components and tools to be made suitable for large age range.
- Long term durability of car bodywork, components and tools to be R&D'd to withstand 100 children per day, 7 days a week.
- No car CAD data available from Team Renault. 3D Scanning of car in live workshop facility also not practical.
- 3D construction drawing files of Car to be generated from scratch as part of Design phase.
- Technical support/mechanical snagging team during first 30 days.
Formula E Kidzania pit lane experience
THE PRODUCTION SOLUTION
Design - Timeframe 1 month.
- Access granted to Team e.DAMS' workshop facility at Donnington race track to measure and photograph actual car.
- 3D model of car reconstructed in Solidworks CAD.
Production - Time frame 4 months:
- Steel sub frame. 5 axis polystyrene body shape machined from CAD.
- polystyrene bodywork coated and sanded to high finish, moulded and cast in GRP.
- GRP bodywork fitted to steel frame.
- bodywork finished to super high gloss with full livery.
- Additional carbon fibre details included such as front and rear fins, wheel shafts, dampeners, steering rods.
- High performance hybrid rubber compounds developed over six weeks to attain durable, lightweight tyres for children as low as 5 years old.
- small, lightweight cordless hand drills adapted as wheel wrenches for tyre changes.
Resprayed and fitted with cast aluminium central nut attachment.
- Ultra-light cast aluminium wheels offered wheel stability and strength, whilst lowering overall weight.
- Installation at Kidzania and Technical support/mechanical snagging team during first 30 days.
DETAILED BEHIND THE SCENES
6 sapling oaks were planted with Trees for Cities for this project. Each of which will off-set one tonne of carbon in its lifetime.