Like what we do?
with fashion designer Aurelie Fontan
THE COUTURE COLLECTION CREATED ON A PHONE
Aurélie is always exploring new techniques that innovate the process of couture fashion design. Her previous work, a dress “grown” from fermented kombucha tea, did this with biology itself.
She says, “My design process is inspired by the potential of science and technology to create sustainable couture and so my award-winning collection, TENSEGRITY, was based on bio-mimicry and inspired by DNA structural patterns.”
For this project, Aurélie had a specific goal in mind. “The challenge wasn’t to replace couture techniques with technology,” she says, “but to explore how the technology that we carry around with us in our pockets, handbags, etcetera could provide a new perspective on the traditional methods of fashion design.”
The Samsung Note 9 is to be used by Aurelie Fontan to produce her latest line of haute couture garments and accessories. Using default phone Apps, bolt-on softwares and the Tab's stylus, the Designer will sketch the concepts, design components as digital files. and export direct to 3D printers and cutters to manufacture components.
- Work closely with Fontan, offering technical supervision across all digital platforms and tools, ensuring a smooth transition between smart phone screen to production file to 3D printer.
- Reproduce Designer's component sketches into generated production files.
- To 3D print 3000 fastener units critical to the
assembly of the line of garments and accessories.
THE PRODUCTION SOLUTION
- Fontan's component sketches redrawn in Open Shape CAD ready for test 3D printing.
- Test printing for verification of strength and size, using Formlab
- 3D print 3000 components 3D printing on FormLab
- Tech assistance throughout 8 week process and supply/supervision of all digital softwares and manufacturing hardware for Film Shoot.