THE WORLD'S FIRST 3D PRINTED, VIRTUAL REALITY-GENERATED WORKS OF ART
Hope & Glory PR already had the overall concept on the table. Three Royal Academy Artists were to produce VR sculptural artworks. If these artworks could be 3D printed at scale it would be a World First and make for potentially massive PR hit. The Collaboration with The RA was lined up, but the means to 3D print anything at scale wasn't. Industry standard printers are insufficient to achieve such scale, without a significantly truncated process from VR file to final object. This stood to strip the Artists of their artistic freedom and jeopardise the authenticity of the concept.
- Overcome the 3D printing obstacle in order to print sculptures at large scale and format (3m).
- To develop the project's concept and feasibility through close collaboration with RA Artists, Jesse Jetpacks, Adam Faramawy, and Elliot Dodd.
- To stress test early stage VR artworks and 3Dimensional printing.
- To generate newsworthy pieces of art, at a World First event to launch HTC Vive at The Royal Academy.
THE BUILD SOLUTION
- large scale 3d printing obstacle overcome with our in-Network revolutionary system Superhuge 3D Printing (Chinchilla Ltd).
- Artists' VR sculptural artwork files transferred to digital softwares for minor sculptural manipulation and 3D Print preparation.
- Sculptures 3D printed in polystyrene layers adopting a Hybrid Object Layer Manufacturing system (HOLM).
- Sculptures finished smooth in hard coat Polyurethane resin to hand over to artists for their own final surface finishing.
DETAILED BEHIND THE SCENES
A World First Event
Beautiful Wonder enabled the realisation of this concept through our Superhuge 3D Printing. The capability of which, for large scale 3d printing meant the VR pieces of art were created in the physical form at the large scale required for presentation at The Royal Academy - otherwise unavailable in the production industry without significant compromise to the credibility and freedom of the Artists' origination.
A world first that garnered a high volume of press and social media coverage.